Comfort for parents with intellectually disabled children

By | August 11, 2013

For parents who have a son or daughter who has an intellectual impairment, there are some very real worries about what may happen to those children when the parents die or become unable to look after them.

The Personal Advocacy Trust (PAT) can help in two important ways: it can provide an advocate for the person after the final parent dies, and it will help administer or act as trustee in a discretionary trust set up for that child’s benefit.

Established in 1967 by parents of people with intellectual disabilities, the PAT’s mission is to ensure that its members live as full a life as possible through the advocacy and support PAT provides.

For more information on the Personal Advocacy Trust, go to

DISCLAIMER: This article is true and accurate to the best of our and the author(s)’ knowledge. It should not be a substitute for legal advice. No liability is assumed by us or the author(s) or publisher for losses suffered by any person or organisation relying directly or indirectly on this article. Views expressed are the views of the author(s) individually and do not necessarily reflect the view of this firm. This article may not be reproduced without prior approval from us and the editor.

Copyright, NZ LAW Limited. Editor: Adrienne Olsen. E-mail: Ph: 029 286 3650.

Be Sociable, Share!